LouieWilliamsJr.com - "Me Gotta Blog Now"

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

RIP, "Little Buddy"

"Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale, a tale of a faithful trip..." - "Gilligan's Island" Theme Song, written by Sherwood Schwartz (series creator).

Yes, it's true, folks, Gilligan has left the planet.

Bob Denver, the actor who portrayed the S.S. Minnow's bungling but lovable first mate Gilligan, died Friday in a North Carolina hospital at age 70. Here's the obituary from Yahoo News.

I still remember as a child growing up in Snellville watching "Gilligan's Island" reruns on channel 17 (before it became "Superstation TBS"). I believe that it came on TV weekdays at 4 PM back in those days. At the time, I was highly amused by Gilligan's antics and how he'd drive the Skipper (the late Alan Hale, Jr.) and the other five castaways totally bonkers. Hey, Ginger (Tina Louise) wasn't too bad looking back in the day, and Mary Ann (Dawn Wells) was kinda cute, too. :)

By the time I was a teenager, I "outgrew" the show. However, I must give the show due credit for becoming a legend in the hearts and minds of millions worldwide. It also deserves credit for proving that you could get laughs without resorting to so-called "toilet humor" a-la "South Park" (another show I used to watch but "outgrew" when I started dating my future wife, Mary).

We, the staff at LouieWilliamsJr.com, urge you to join us in keeping Mr. Denver's family in your thoughts and prayers.

Rest In Peace, "Little Buddy".

That's all for now. Thanks for visiting and please come again.

P.S. Don't forget the folks along the Gulf Coast who were affected by Katrina. They need your assistance, thoughts, and prayers as they struggle to rebuild their homes and lives. (Please see my last blog for giving info.)