LouieWilliamsJr.com - "Me Gotta Blog Now"

Monday, June 20, 2005

Classic Rock vs. Today's Music

Nearly a couple of months ago, the folks at Clear Channel decided to turn Atlanta station Cool 105.7, a '60s and '70s oldies station, into a Spanish-speaking station, which, for a while, disappointed me.

However, I soon rediscovered their sister station, Atlanta's venerable "96 Rock" , which has always played *real* rock, not the "Britney and Backstreet" rubbish you hear way too much on Top 40 radio.

It had been years since I listened to "96 Rock" and thanks to them, I rekindled my love of the real good stuff by such artists as AC-DC, Bad Company, Def Leppard, the Eagles, Bob Seger, 38 Special, and of course the 2 greatest Southern rock bands of all... Macon's Allman Brothers and Jacksonville's Lynyrd Skynyrd.

The afternoon drivetime crew on 96rock consists of the team of "Southside" Steve Rickman (a Georgia boy) and Tim Rhodes, known as "Southside and Rhodes". These guys are hilarious. Let me warn you, however, that their show is not exactly "family friendly" (language, sexual innuendo, etc.), but when you're stuck in traffic, their on-air antics (not to mention the classic rock) really help make the commute more bearable.

As for recent artists, I think that fellow North Georgia alum, singer/songwriter Shawn Mullins (www.shawnmullins.com, www.smgrecords.com), is one of the most underappreciated artists out there today. I had bought at least 5 of his CD's, including "The Thorns", and find that he is not just a singer cranking out pre-fabricated tunes, but an artist in the true sense. His music draws from such diverse influences as James Taylor (one of my personal favorites), Hank Williams, Sr., and Crosby, Stills, and Nash.

A few years ago, I met Shawn not once, but twice (at Eddie's Attic in Decatur and at North Georgia, when the Alumni Association honored him with a 2001 Young Alumnus award).Despite the fame and fortune he has experienced, I can truly say that Shawn is a down-to-earth "good ol' boy" at heart. Perhaps one of these days, radio and record companies will realize that he's much more than just the "Lullaby" guy from 1999.

In the meantime, I will stick with my classic rock and continue to stay as far away from the "Britney and Backstreet" rubbish as I can.

Thanks for visiting LouieWilliamsJr.com and I hope you come back soon.