LouieWilliamsJr.com - "Me Gotta Blog Now"

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

It’s Still NGC To Me

Today, I did something that I hadn’t done in 3 years… I took a short “road trip” to Dahlonega and visited North Georgia College (and State University).

When I made my way down the hill on Highway 60 toward the campus, it was just amazing to see the sheer growth over the past 3 years alone.

I turned left onto Morrison Moore Parkway and entered the campus via Alumni Drive near the new privatized dorm John H. Owen Hall, which looked more like an apartment complex than the traditional dorms (Sirmons, Gaillard, Donovan, Lewis, Lewis Annex, and Sanford Halls).

My first stop was the Alumni Center, where I met fellow ’86 alum Mark Howarth, the alumni affairs director.

Mark and I had a nice chat in his new office about the things going on in our lives, such as our recent marriages (he and his new bride will celebrate their first wedding anniversary this month and I wish them the best), some old times (it’s been over 20 years ago since we were NGC students and cadets), and what’s happening with our fellow alums (several are in Iraq and Afghanistan, so please pray for them and give them your support). Most of all, it’s always nice to know that you can always visit Mark when you’re up there. It really made my day. Thanks, Mark, for all you do for our fellow alums worldwide. :)

Afterward, I walked to the bookstore to by my dad, Louie Sr., some North Georgia gear (he loves collecting North Georgia gear from me and U.S. Naval Academy gear from my little brother Chris, USNA ’94). I also got my wife, Mary, a teddy bear, which she just loved to death. J

Over the past 20 years, North Georgia is the same as it was back in “the day” such as freshman cadets “sounding off” to cadre, co-eds, and commuters (which we used to call “hairbags”). But it has changed quite a bit over those many years. The Canteen is like a miniature food court, they have Internet access and e-mails, and the chow hall is now a privatized facility with much more to choose from. BTW, remember the “surfburger”? It was the worst thing that ever tried to pass for food, thus earning the moniker “the patty from Hell”. Hopefully, that abomination has long since disappeared from the menu.

In 1996, the Georgia Board of Regents changed the college’s name to North Georgia College and State University. It now may be NGCSU, but it will still be NGC to me. :)

Thanks again to Mark for making my visit a pleasant one. If you ever get a chance to go to Dahlonega, especially during a weekday, check out the campus.

Oh yeah… don’t forget to stop by the Alumni Center and say “Hey” to Mark and the good folks that work there. They'll be happy you stopped by. :)

That’s all for now. Thanks for visiting LouieWilliamsJr.com and please come again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home