LouieWilliamsJr.com - "Me Gotta Blog Now"

Thursday, October 20, 2005

My Dad and Lynyrd Skynyrd

Usually, I limit my blogs to one per day, but I just had to do a special one.

Happy Birthday, Dad!

First of all, Mary and I wish my Dad, Louie, Sr., a happy birthday.

As stated in one of my first blogs, he is "Papa" to a new set of Williams grandchildren, my niece Stella and nephew Zach, just as his dad was "Papa" to my brother Chris, sister Laura, and me.

Dad, thanks for helping me become the successful person I am today and I just want you to know that I love and respect you more than you'll ever realize.

Happy Birthday, Dad! :)

The Lynyrd Skynyrd Plane Crash

"If I leave here tomorrow, will you still remember me?" - "Freebird", Lynyrd Skynyrd.

On October 20, 1977, the world of Southern rock lost three members of Jacksonville's own Lynyrd Skynyrd when their plane crashed in a patch of woods in Mississippi. :(

Those lost were lead singer Ronnie Van Zant, guitarist Steve Gaines, and his sister, backup vocalist Cassie Gaines, plus their manager Dean Kilpatrick, the pilot, and the co-pilot.

During Christmas of 1999, I visited their gravesites at Jacksonville Memory Gardens in Orange Park, Florida. I spent at least 1o minutes just standing there and reflecting on what their music meant to me. Just before I left, I turned toward the tomb and quietly whispered, "Freebird!", in appreciation for the great music they left behind.

In early July, 2000, their gravesites were vandalized. Ronnie's casket was dragged out of its tomb and Steve Gaines's ashes were disinterred and part of them were dumped on the ground. Fortunately, Cassie's ashes were left alone.

As a result, Steve's ashes were removed (location currently unknown) and Ronnie was reburied in a ground plot next to his parents.

Fortunately, Skynyrd came back stronger than ever, with Ronnie's little brother Johnny Van Zant picking up the torch and carrying on the Skynyrd tradition.

Ronnie, Steve, and Cassie, you may have left us, but we still remember you... FREEBIRD!!!

That's all for now. Thanks for visiting and please come back again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home