LouieWilliamsJr.com - "Me Gotta Blog Now"

Monday, January 09, 2006

My Gomerly Thoughts

Dear Reader,

On the last blog, I posted a short skit based on my "gomerly" inspiration.

According to a post on the TV Shows on DVD website, the classic military sitcom "Gomer Pyle, USMC", should soon be released on DVD. Please click here for the article. It will be a definite "must add" to our DVD collection.

From 2000-2002, TV Land had "Gomer" reruns in its lineup and boy, did I enjoy seeing them just as I did when I was a young'un back in Snellville. In some ways, it reminded me of my days at NGC as a young cadet, but most of all, it was good clean fun to see ol' Gomer (Jim Nabors) drive Sergeant Carter (played by the late Frank Sutton) up the wall. I wish there were more shows like that today.

If I could remake "Gomer" into a feature film, then I would probably cast R. Lee Ermey ("The Gunney" from "Mail Call" and "Full Metal Jacket") as Carter. As for Gomer, however, I'm not sure whom I'd cast... but then again, perhaps we should leave that show alone since Nabors was, is, and always will be "Gomer", just like the late Bob Denver was "Gilligan". Most movies based on TV shows aren't that great, anyway, IMHO.

Last June, while my wife Mary and I were in Birmingham, Alabama, for the Southeast regional Toastmasters conference, we took some time to travel down US 280 (known as "Jim Nabors Highway" in Talladega County) to pay homage to ol' Gomer. Here' s a picture she took of me next to the sign:

Louie on US 280/231 southbound just inside of Talladega County, AL. (Photo taken by Mary.)

Jim Nabors was born and raised in Sylacauga, which is just a little further south of this point on US 280. His official website is JimNabors.com.

For more about "Gomer Pyle, USMC", please click here.

Finally, here's a link to the "Gomer" theme song.

That's all the "gomerly" thoughts I have for now. Thanks for visiting and y'all come back now, y'hear!!! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home